Tuesday 8 April 2014

Kent Village # Kemsing


Kemsing is a small village at the foot of the North Downs in Kent.
In the centre of the village is a well dedicated to St Edith, the daughter of King Edgar. She was born in Kemsing in AD961 and this area was where she spent her childhood. It was said that the water from the well had healng powers.






The Bell is the only remaining pub in the village.










The old Blacksmiths yard.










This is St Edith's Hall which has a statue of the saint and a clock which chimes on the hour.

Below the clock is the inscription:
'Tis mine
Each passing hour to tell
'Tis thine 
To use it ill or well




This is the church of St Mary the Virgin, the oldest parts of the church date back to the 12th cent,








The porch is over 500 years old and still has some of the original woodwork including the door.
The indentations on the door were possibly made by pilgrims banging their sticks on the door to gain access.
A lych (Anglo-Saxon for corpse) gate was added in 1894 through which the dead could be received into the grounds of the church.





The Post Office also doubles as a small tea shop which was a welcome place to visit after a walk up on the Downs.




20 comments:

  1. I would love to spend some time here -- or in any other English village.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured the village very well. Pity is was rubbish night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely area! I enjoyed your photos of all the cute buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour of this charming village! Wouldn't it be wonderful if healing powers would be the cure-all for diseases?! Love the idea of a post office and tea room combined!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I thought it was a ring - it looks magical. I don't seem to hear about Kind Edgar often. Thanks for the tour. Photos make me want to visit England again one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very interesting village and a picturesque one. The well is amazing and who knows maybe it has a health powe healings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful village, and a sad point about one pub left. Seems all the village pubs are dissapearing due to Breweries trying to make big proffits

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your porch shot looking through the gate is really special. Amazing village. We both have a St Edith today :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son was impressed with the dates and the cakes!

    Nice looking place.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another historic place holding treasures for this who stop to look. I love the old door!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the visit to a beautiful village. I think maybe now I should use my time well today! Although I had rather be visiting in that cozy tearoom! janey

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tours around England!! Thanks for dropping by and visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many lovely things to look at in this village, but my favorite is the inscription on the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to go I had to go read about St Edith and King Edgar. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post to travel with you through the beatiful country and old places.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kemsing exudes tons of historical charm. It's so chock full of photogenic subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds very interesting place!!
    Nice architectures.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love old buildings, no matter what architectural style. Thank you for taking us with you - surely worth visiting this place!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm always in awe when I visit places with such long history.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.