Wednesday 14 January 2015

V and A cafe

I don't seem able to visit a Museum without going to the cafe for a welcome sit down and a cup of tea. Here at the Victoria and Albert Museum, the cafe is situated in the original Morris, Gamble and Poynter rooms. Henry Cole who designed the Museum wanted to use contemporary artists to design the refreshment rooms and chose the best with William Morris being one of the most famous designers of the Victorian period. The three interlinking rooms are striking in their design and certainly give you something to look at as you enjoy your food and drink.












 The Poynter Room was originally called the grill room as food was grilled in view of the guests in the space beneath the stained glass window.

(I wonder if these photos ring any bells with Stewart M from Paying Ready Attention as it was here that I met his wonderful family last Summer.)




Even the tiles in the toilet area are interesting.


15 comments:

  1. This looks like a great place to enjoy a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth visiting the V&A just for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely nice place for visiting and tea..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you made good use of your downtime, taking photos for us while drinking your tea! The panels and window in the Poynter Room are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, I'll have to take my wife there for a cuppa when I getto visit

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was there that's almost 20 years ago, I didn't pay attention to all these details, but I remember it was a beautiful place !

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful decorated place to sit and enjoy a tea. I mostly do the same to have a drink in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's so much to see there that I'm sure a cup of tea is much needed part way through your stay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cafe is definitely a beautiful part of the Museum experience! It's not as if you were sitting in a McDonalds ... This is a beautiful spot and it would be a shame NOT to sit and gaze about while you rest and have tea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Bill would get on well. He always sniffs out a coffee shop wherever we go. Interesting museum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's your duty to test out the tea rooms wherever you are - especially when they look like THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very nice place to rest. What a pity that I didn't stay long enough to vitit the V and A.
    The tiles and the window are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.