Thursday 22 February 2018

North Downs Way

 With March rapidly approaching I have to get my act together and start doing more walking in preparation for this year's long distance walk. So, today as it wasn't raining I put the boots on and set off for a walk on the North Downs Way. It is about a 30 minute drive for me to get out into the country. I don't have the mountains close by but I have the Downs. The North Downs are a ridge of chalk hills in the South East of England covering a distance of over 150 miles.
Today's walk was a five mile circular walk which was new to me. Pleased to see lots of snowdrops.



Bluebells look as though they will be early this year.

This walk joined the North Downs Way which is well signposted but the path was underwater in many places.











Stiles are being replaced where possible with kissing gates

Looks more like a river than a path.



For those of you who are regular readers of my blogs you may recall how much I dislike being in a field with cows. I have no fear of spiders or snakes but cows bring me out in a cold sweat. I had to cross this field.
On closer inspection I realised there was a bull in the field. Even the camera preferred to focus on a twig rather than the bull. It took me ages to get across the field as I went around the edge hugging the hedgerow.










My efforts were rewarded with these beautiful primroses. The first I've seen this year.




However my boots took some cleaning when I got home!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, very muddy!

    My favourite shot here includes those horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure glad you made it through all that mud and that the bull didn't seem to notice you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good preparation for the long distance walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cows are not dangerous unless you are a threat to their calves. Bulls are always dangerous. Walking in mud? How distasteful. Don't you have plenty of nice cobbles to walk upon? It is a bit late at night here. I have looked at the kissing gate intently, and I will do so again tomorrow morning. Perhaps only then will I understand it. Stiles are quite obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you come across the normal problem of boggy footpaths we get in the country, would get better when the weather warms up

    ReplyDelete
  6. We see a lot of those wet paths here in Florida. Wonderful hike. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos as usual but I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to risk the bull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poor boots! I hope you had a change in the car or you will be cleaning all that mud out of the car, too. I would miss the old stiles that blended into the landscape better than the shiny kissing gates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Downs! Spring has sprung.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do remember your fear of cows and bulls. What a soggy, muddy walk that was. Where is the long distance trek this year?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just know the Spring will be popping out all over there soon...and hopefully the mud will dry up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At the beginning I though oh wow what a beautiful walk but when i saw the mud and water I changed my mind but the scenery was nice. Well done crossing the field.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Despite all the water and mud, there are signs of spring! And whats the point of mud if you don't walk though it!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry this is so late. I enjoyed this post, the muddy areas reminded me of some of my walks and the boots and dog washing I have to do when we get home! I like cows and have walked through fields with them in but I'm very wary of them and know of instances where they have stampeded so nowadays I would do what you did and walk round the edge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.